The Assistant Chef is responsible to assist the Executive Chef with overall kitchen operation as a successful independent profit centre, ensuring maximum guest satisfaction, through planning, organising, directing, and controlling the Kitchen operation.
Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while assisting in leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Also Assists in supervising all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced.
Assistant Chef Duties and Responsibilities:
- To ensure that guests are always receiving an exceptional dining experience.
- Ensure that all recipes and product yields are accurately costed and reviewed regularly.
- Ensure that all food items are prepared as per standard recipe cards whilst maintaining portion control and minimising waste.
- Ensure that food stock levels within the culinary department areas are of sufficient quantity and quality in relevance to guest bookings and function forecasts.
- Ensure that chefs are always in clean tidy uniforms and are always presentable to be in guest view.
- Ensure that all food preparation equipment is being used safely and correctly and that it is cleaned and maintained.
- Ensure that all culinary operations manuals are prepared and updated.
- Ensure that the culinary department adheres to all company policies and procedures.
- Creative menu planning and correct food preparation for evening dining and functions.
- To work in close conjunction with Management and respective teams, to create a yearly marketing plan.
- Ensure that all relevant station set-ups are prepared ahead of guest’s arrival and in adherence with company standards.
- Be aware of new items, which are introduced to the market and keep up with product trends.
- To fully understand the market needs and desires for each outlet and ensure that the menus are developed to reflect those needs.
- To initiate relevant maintenance reports and work orders supported by the respective follow-up of those items actioned.
- To manage associates fairly and take a personal interest in knowing all culinary associates.
- To project a positive and motivated attitude amongst all associates.
- To frequently verify that only the highest quality products are used in food preparation.
- To ensure that all food products received are of the required standard and quality and that they are stored and rotated correctly.
- To act as manager on duty for the kitchen when the Head Chef is unavailable.
- Ability to work fast in a high-pressure environment.
- Creative and innovative with an eye for excellent food presentation.
- Hands-on approach to all operational aspects.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Self-motivated and able to keep a positive attitude at all times.